Feb 22, 2013

Can you guess what I desire my new hobby to be?

Question 1:
How long do you have to stay in the gym to not be one of "those new year resolution people"?

... because I will BEAT that!  I am going on two months and only becoming more and more addicted.  I don't see a stopping point, instead my BIG and CRAZY imagination sees myself in long distant triathlons.  Mind you, I have never done any kind of triathlon but for the last month I have read about EVERY blog there is about people like me that have.  I was reading about the couch to 5K program - now I am reading about couch to triathlons - yep I have lost my mind in just a matter of months. 

Question 2:
Can I do a triathlon?

I think I can, I think I can, and my boot camp instructor who is ever so motivating and encouraging thinks I can - so I say lets go for it.  In fact my mind has chose to obsess over it. 

What is funny about this is I am NOT ATHLETIC at all.  I have never been on a swim team, I have never biked more then a few miles, and the longest distance I have ever ran is 8 miles.  I have a small frame and might look like a runner (as I have been told by non-runners)... but my little secret is I am just a girl with small bone structure that actually can't run.  I took me a year of running in my 20's to hit 8 miles- and then I thought I might die!  I signed up for the mini in 2005 and quit because I was too busy wedding planning.  I have never in my life lifted weights or done an exercise video (except for abbs and buns of steal in the 90's - come on I had to try it, everyone was doing it).  Let me also mention my right knee sounds like rice crispies when I go up and down stairs and is in pain after doing squats and lunges (which I only have started doing the last month because prior to the last few months I had never really worked out - have I drove that point home yet?) 

I have not blogged about any of this in the last 2 months, because I wanted to be sure I had a plan to stick with this before I told the 3 people that might read this in internet world - if you are one of the 3 reading this right now, I thank you.  Even if no-one reads your blog, something about putting your goals and dreams out there is still frightening.  I did not want to say things like I am going to kick this baby weight a%* if I really was not, and I did not want to say I am going to run a 5K if I continued to quit after week 3 of training (like I did in July).  But now I would like to announce something - even if it is just for me...

I AM GOING TO DO A SPRINT TRIATHLON, I WILL COMPLETE IT, AND I WILL TRAIN FOR ANOTHER ONE! 

The amazing trainer I have been working with in her amazing boot camp is Tatum Perez of TXT .  I can't put in enough plugs for her because she is not just a great friend but an amazing trainer.  She has me motivated and encouraged and convinced I can do things I did not think I could, in fact she has me doing things I did not think I would!  Lifting for starters - who new I would grow to crave the pain that feels like success - I mean I literally like the pain now, if it doesn't hurt I feel like I did not work out.  I have bought weight, a jump rope, out door running clothes... if she says I can I then gosh darn-it I will. 

I could write a book on what has happened over the last 2 months but I will spare you and attempt to
put in bullet points...

  • I have lost another 5 pounds or so (LOVE MY FITNESS PAL on my phone)
  • I have worked out till my legs gave out and when I went to run I just fell (an odd but great feeling)
  • I have tried to keep up with girls at boot camp that have been doing this for years and had to laugh at myself when I can't get my body to do what theirs will (oh I have to write these stories latter)
  • I have had my lock cut off my locker at the club - doesn't that scream NEWBIE in the GYM!
  • I have had people in the pool stare at my freestyle and I can tell they are thinking "oh that poor girl, I should give her some tips"
  • I have spend HOURS reading about triathlons
  • I have cried over numerous stories of women that are very overweight and completed 1/2 ironman
  • I have injured myself doing a "jump up" at boot camp because my mind told my body to go, but it just didn't.  *right now my entire shin is a big bump and bruise and hurst when my pants touch it but who cares when you need to run!  (Is this really me talking?)
Oh I could go on and on!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment